Can I Get a Stalking Protection Order?
You must meet certain requirements to be eligible to file for a Stalking Protection Order in King County, but even if you do not meet the criteria, there may be other types of legal protection available.
Requirements in Washington State
You can file for a stalking protection order FOR YOURSELF if:
- You live in or have fled to the County in which you seek to file a stalking protection order.
- You are at least 16 years old and your stalker is not a current or former intimate partner or family or household member. If they are, see www.protectionorder.org for assistance.
- You are experiencing “stalking conduct” as defined by RCW.9A.46.110
- You are experiencing repeated, unwanted behaviors from someone (e.g. contacts, monitoring, following, harassing)
- The behavior serves no lawful purpose
- It causes you to feel intimidated, frightened or threatened
- A reasonable person in the same situation would feel intimidated, frightened or threatened as well; and
- Either the stalker intends to cause you to feel intimidated, frightened or threatened; or should know that such behavior would reasonably cause someone fear
- You are being harassed, intimidated, threatened, tormented or embarrassed by someone online or through a form of electronic communication (social media, e-mail, text, etc.)
You can file for a stalking protection order FOR SOMEONE ELSE if:
- You are filing on behalf of a minor child who is a victim of stalking whereby you are a parent, legal custodian or – when the respondent is not a parent – an adult with whom the child is currently residing.
- You are filing on behalf of a vulnerable adult and you as the petitioner are an interested person.
If the behavior does not rise to the legal definition of stalking, you may qualify for an Anti-Harassment Order instead.
Stalking requirements may be different in other states: law and resources for other regions and states
Other types of orders for protection in WA State
The Comparison of Court Orders Chart outlines the different types of protection orders in WA State and may help you determine which one best fits your situation.
Other types of orders for protection
- Anti-Harassment Order
- Domestic Violence Protection Order
- Sexual Assault Protection Order
- Vulnerable Adult Protection Order
- Restraining Order
- No Contact Order
How do I get a Stalking Protection Order?
Requirements, forms and step-by-step instructions for applying for a Stalking Protection Order.